Thursday, November 09, 2006

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

When I first moved to Colorado, one of the first things I tried to bake was chocolate chip cookies and they FLOPPED horribly! I could barely get them off the pan. Now I knew altitude messes with baking but I guess it just never occurred to me how much. I remember crying because I couldn't even make chocolate chip cookies which to me seem like one of those first things people learn to make...a classic. Michael was a good sport and ate the crumbles though and said they tasted good although didn't look very pretty. So it took months of baking and changing things around. I still have problems with traditional chocolate chip cookies but this recipe works for me.

The recipe:

* 3/4 cup butter
* 1 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1/3 cup peanut butter
* 1/4 cup water
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 2 cups rolled oats
* 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar and white sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the peanut butter, water and vanilla. Combine the flour and baking soda, stir into the creamed mixture. Finally, stir in the rolled oats and chocolate chips. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto an unprepared cookie sheet.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cookies are lightly toasted on the edges. Remove from the baking sheet to cool on wire racks.



One reason I am posting this recipe and picture as next week I intend to try a new recipe that I again found over on The Adventures of Superwife. Chocolate chip cookies with vanilla pudding in them.

No comments: