Sunday, January 14, 2007

Ham and Bean Soup

It has been snowing here all weekend so we wanted something warm and so I took the left over ham from Christmas out of the freezer last night and soaked beans so that I could make this....













The Recipe:
1 lb. 15 bean soup package
Large hambone (I didn't have one so I just used their packet they insert with the bag of beans that gives it that flavor)
2 1/2 to 3 cups diced ham
1 med. onion, chopped
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 bay leaf
Pepper to taste
1 (16 oz.) can of diced tomatoes
3 cups chicken stock
2 cups water

Soak beans overnight, wash, drain. Add all above ingredients into a crockpot. Start on high for 1 hour and then 3 hours on low until beans are well done.


Notes: Sometimes I add carrots but I didn't have any (grocery shopping tomorrow) but I am sure there could be a lot of things you could do with this soup.

No comments: