Friday, January 12, 2007

Comfort Food















We haven't had meatloaf in a long time and Michael requested and with it getting so cold this weekend it sounded like good comfort food. As a kid I never liked meatloaf....although I am sure my Mom made a good one I just had it in my mind that it probably had things I didn't like in it. And as a kid I was even more picky then I am now.

Meatloaf:
1 pound ground beef or turkey (I use turkey)
1 pound ground pork
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup of finely chopped onion
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 cup finely chopped mixed peppers (red, yellow and green)
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup ketchup
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 large egg - beaten slightly

Topping:
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp prepared mustard
1/4 dash ground allspice
1 tsp hickory flavoring


  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 5x9 inch loaf pan or an 8x8.


  • Take coarsely chopped onion, garlic, peppers, and tomatoes and put into food processor to get finely chopped and well blended. Mix the remaining meatloaf ingredients with the tomato mixture. Form into a loaf and put into a loaf or 8x8 pan.


  • Mix all the topping ingredients and with a fork cover the meatloaf.


  • Bake meat loaf in oven for 1 hour.

No comments: