Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Adventures in Emergency Cupcakes

So a while back I started reading The Adventures of Superwife and she posted this recipe for Emergency Cupcakes. They looked so good that I bookmarked it to come back to and make someday. Well it had been the first time I read her and it was during one of my insomnia cycles - so what I am saying it was LATE and I forgot about them and her blog. I know shame on me!

One day probably a month or even 2 later on the Food Network (can't even remember which show it was at the moment) the host was making yes....cupcakes. And all of a sudden I had the vague memory of reading a blog with amazing cupcakes that sounded so easy too. So I went to my favorites and looked for the link. Nope not there. So, not remembering the name of the blog or the name of the cupcakes...I started the endless google searches which lead me to another link I have listed....Cupcake Bakeshop (which of course made me bookmark a BUNCH of recipes I wanted to try there too.) But I still couldn't find one I really wanted because you know at this point it was a MISSION! I NEEDED to find the blog again! Really it took a couple weeks of googling on and off and I have no idea what words I put in but one precious evening...The Adventures of Superwife appeared. I rejoiced as any other baker would do...I made the cupcakes RIGHT AWAY!

So Emergency Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting....
















The recipes:
Chocolate Cupcakes
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup Dutch processed cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup water
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat Oven to 350

Whisk all your dry ingredients in one and all your wet ingredients in another. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Line cupcake tins with paper liners - spray lightly with cooking spray. And then fill liners 3/4 full and bake for 14 to 18 minutes.

Quick Buttercream Frosting
I used Williams-Sonoma's recipe but cut in half and omitting the salt.

3 cups powdered sugar
1 stick butter
2 tblsp milk
2 tsp vanilla extract

Melt butter and then mix together all ingredients until fluffy and creamy but with so it keeps its peaks. If too stiff add a little more milk.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm so excited you tried them out. Someone pointed out to me that the original recipe lacked paking soda *smacks forehead* so if you throw in 2 tsp, they'll come out a lot fluffier!

Darby said...

Molly, my boyfriend requests these cupcakes all the time now! I am actually going to make them today and do orange buttercream frosting and use candy corn to make little Jack-O-latern faces on them. I will take pictures and post them I am sure! Thank you again for posting the recipe they are great tasting and so easy!