Thursday, September 14, 2006

Bran Muffins

My Mom used to make bran muffins for us a lot when we were kids. I know this is not her recipe as hers was the kind you could leave the batter in the fridge for a month and just keep scooping out of it. For some reason that bothers me although nothing bad ever happened to us eating these muffins as a kid and my Mom is a cook so she knows what she is doing. Anyway, I loved them so much so...even now biting into one I bake brings me right back home to being a little girl.


Bran Muffins

* 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
* 1 cup buttermilk
* 1/3 cup vegetable oil
* 1 egg
* 2/3 cup brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 cup all-purpose flour (sometimes I do 1/2 cup all-purpose and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour)
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.

  • Mix together wheat bran and buttermilk; let stand for 10 minutes.

  • Beat together oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and add to buttermilk/bran mixture. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir flour mixture into buttermilk mixture, until just blended. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.

  • Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.


  • No comments: